Think to empty the lint trap is enough? May have to guess again. Although regularly emptying the lint trap significantly helps, some lint does find its way through the vent and builds heavily on the ridges of the flexible hose. If Jake is in your home cleaning up your carpet and upholstery, considering having him clean the dryer vent for fire prevention.
Warning Signs of Congested Dryer Vent
- Clothes are taking longer to dry than normal
- Clothes are hotter than normal at the end of a standard drying cycle.
- The flap on your outside dryer no longer flaps when the dryer is on.
- Dryer lint trap does not fit tightly
- Flexible or plastic dryer vent hose.
- The dryer is a long distance from the exterior dryer vent.
- Dryer duct installed has many bends in route to the exterior dryer vent.
- Clothing being washed has been soiled with flammable materials such as gas, motor oil, cooking oil, etc.
Tips for Decreasing Dryer Lint Build-up
- Clean dryer vent hose regularly
- Clean the lint trap between each load of laundry
- Do not operate dryer without the lint filter in place
- Use metal duct work and replace foil or plastic ducts with rigid or semi-rigid ductwork- allowing better air flow, less flammable, and fewer places for lint to be trapped
- Wash lint screens every few weeks to remove residue left by fabric softeners.
- Ensure the outdoor vent flap can open easily and with no blockage of leaves, sticks and other outdoor debris
- Keep dryers maintained. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to ensure the gas line and all connections are secure and there are no leaks
- Avoid overloading dryer
- Keep combustible chemicals away from your dryer.
- Do not store flammable items near the dryer
- Only run the dryer when someone is home.
- Use dryer ducts that are at least 4 inches in diameter.
- Follow dryer instructions provided by the manufacturer
- Secure all duct joints with metal tape
- Install duct joints so the piece nearest the dryer is on the inside joint
- Ensure dryer vents leave the home through an exterior vent
- Install a screen on the exterior vent to prevent animals from entering the duct.